Myotherapy is the assessment pain and dysfunction with in the body, using a vast array of techniques to treat the specific areas of muscular imbalance. At Myotherapy Frankston South, Julie uses a form of physical therapy to treat and prevent soft tissue pain and restricted joint movement.
Deep Tissue Massage – Myotherapy uses a stronger form of massage that works the deeper layers of muscle fibres. This allows the attachment point of the muscles to relax and alleviate strain from the the joint. This style of treatment also allows toxins to be release from the muscle and improve the circulation. It’s both corrective and therapeutic and can allow long standing problems to be released from the body. Due to the deep nature of the treatment expect some muscle soreness.
Cupping – Cupping is an ancient form of Chinese therapy which has been around for thousands of years. It is used in a myotherapy treatment to improve blood flow and allows toxins to be brought into the blood stream. The Chinese believe it helps promote the flow of stagnate energy and can be used to treat a number of medical conditions. In myotherapy it is mainly used to relieve the tension within tired sore muscles and to lengthen the fascia which surround the muscle tissue. Also some of my clients have found great relief for congestion in the chest, period pain and bruising from strains and sprains.
Myotherapy Dry Needling – Dry needling is inserting an acupuncture needle into a trigger point which creates a healing response which allows the muscle to relax. It is a effective and efficient technique for the treatment of muscular pain and myofascial dysfunction.
Trigger Point Therapy – A trigger point is a tender spot in a tight band of tissue that creates pain, when pressed or squeezed. In Myotherapy we use these areas to release tension and tightness from the area causing pain.
Passive Stretching- Passive stretching is done in your myotherapy treatment to allow the muscle to gain length and helps reduce post-injury soreness and strain. Your therapist assists you in this slow controlled stretching which allows the muscle to relax and relieve muscle spasms.
Some Conditions Treated with Myotherapy
- Sporting & occupational injuries
- Stiffness & pain associated with poor posture
- Associated joint & vertebral dysfunction & pain
- Acute & chronic conditions affecting function & mobility
- Scoliosis / Kyphosis
- Headaches / migraines
- Acute and chronic stiff and painful neck
- Chronic overuse syndromes – tendonitis, RSI, tennis/golfer’s elbow, carpal
- Acute & chronic back pain / ‘sciatica’
- Shoulder pain, impingement syndrome, frozen shoulder
- Hand & finger numbness / tingling – thoracic outlet syndrome
- Knee, leg & foot pain – shin splints, patella tracking dysfunction,
runners knee, ankle sprains
- Arthritis / Multiple Sclerosis
- Pregnancy – pre/post natal complaints
- Chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia
- Pain & dysfunction associated with stress & tension
- Rehabilitative stage of an injury or illness
Myotherapy Frankston South, Frankston, Mount Eliza, Mornington, Seaford, Mount Martha and surrounding suburbs.